Qualifications for all positions include the ability to work as a team member within this department AND all other departments, reliable transportation, valid driver’s license with good record, working outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions, walking, sitting, or standing for extended periods of time, including pushing, pulling, climbing, bending, or lifting up to 50 pounds. Some positions may require lifting more than 50 pounds. While an individual may be assigned to this particular role, situations may arise which would REQUIRE assistance in other areas or departments.
General Position Description
The Water Utility Operator will work in Lakewood’s Utilities Department that contains three groundwater wells that have a max permitted withdraw of approximately 74 million gallons per/year, a Distribution System with approximately 4000 taps, and a gravity wastewater collection system. This position will work with all aspects of the utilities department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily operator checks of wells and distribution system
- Calibrate chlorine meter and analyze chlorine residuals
- Collect and analyze water samples
- Make operational adjustments to water system
- Proper filing and recording keeping
- Maintain and repair water system
- Calculate and adjust chemical dose rates
- Read meters
- Operate various light and heavy machinery
- Document equipment issues and operational changes
- Monitor chemical storage and ordering
- Follow safety procedures
- Report to and inform supervisors
- May be asked to perform other duties in other departments as assigned by supervisor or manager
Abilities & Skills
- General knowledge of water systems
- Ability to work in a physical environment
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong math, reading, and study skills
- Knowledge of pumps, motors, valves, meters, water lines, etc.
- Knowledge of operation, maintenance, and/or construction of water systems
- Ability to work a rotating schedule and rotating on call responsibilities
Preferred Education & Experience
- High School Diploma / GED
- South Carolina Class D Water Treatment License
- South Carolina Class C Water Distribution License
- South Carolina Back Flow Certification
- 4 years’ experience in a water Utility
- High School Diploma / GED.
- Ability to obtain South Carolina Class D Water Treatment License.
- Ability to obtain South Carolina Class C Water Distribution License.
- Ability to obtain South Carolina Back Flow Certification.
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates work ethic and the ability to learn.
Click here to apply or apply in person.